Springtime in the New England Real Estate Market
Spring is a crazy, busy time of year for us in the New England Real Estate world. New England has one of the most seasonal markets in the US. I’ve been clocking long hours, OT almost every night and breaking my own rule of No Work on Weekends! My boss questions me about burn out once or twice every week.
Burn Out Is Real
In my younger years I didn’t believe in burn out. I scoffed at those who complained they were suffering. An excuse to slack off I said! Wimps! But of course I was wrong. Science has proved it and I have suffered from it myself.
Do You Suffer From Burn Out?
Do you need to take a vacation? AAA thinks you do if you meet only a couple of the 17 signs they list on their web page. AAA.com/needavacation. I looked over their list and here are my top 10 reasons to take a break.
- The weekend arrives but you are too tired to venture out for local adventures.
- You daydream about all the places you want to go and things (fun things, not lawn mowing) you want to do.
- Wonder how those people on the Travel Channel manage to take all those fabulous vacations.
- You can’t seem to focus on any one task for long.
- Getting home at the end of the day is a single minded obsession.
- Forgetfulness abounds. You can’t even remember what the string on your finger was supposed to be for!
- Are you on edge? That’s one of my first indicators. My team starts finding me scary!
- Watch out for over eating (or binge drinking). What happened to that jumbo bag of tootsie rolls? More potato chips anyone?
- No one is posting on your social media accounts, not even you! There’s nothing exciting going on.
- Your Life revolves around going to work, paying bills and sleeping. Get up and do it all again.
What’s the Verdict?
So how did you score? Did you even read it or did you park yourself in front of the TV and cry over vacation commercials? Those palm trees and sandy beaches are calling you. It’s almost a physical ache.
Do yourself, your family and your work a favor. Take that break. You’ll come back refreshed, more productive and maybe even with an attitude adjustment. Just be sure to let me know where you go! I want another place to daydream about.