Day is Done…

Back on dry land I had to get my land legs back to trudge up the hill to the car. From freezing to sweating . It was close to 90 degrees and humid! Maybe being cold out on the sea wasn’t so bad. ūüôā

The first point of business was to track down my fellow traveler, JR. He hadn’t wanted to go on the boat so I’d left him exploring the town. Now as I pulled¬†out my cell phone to call him¬†I realized it was 5 pm. No wonder I was hungry.¬† I hadn’t had lunch and the “snack bar” on the rocking and rolling Islander¬†consisted of peanuts , chips, candy bars, coffee¬†and soft drinks. With the cabin filled with the suffering, I couldn’t even think of food but back on land my stomach was making its empty presence known.

JR was back at the motel so I headed over there to meet up with him. He had done a terrific job of checking¬†out the town. One of the most interesting things to me was an island called Bar Island. It’s an island in the harbor just off Bar Harbor. You get to it by crossing a sand bar. The tricky part is that the sand bar is under water at high tide. Up in that part of Maine the tides can vary¬† 10 –¬†12 feet between High and Low tide. So if you go out and the tide comes could be stuck there for 6 hours or until the next low tide.

On the boat the tour guide said there was a joke that if a local tells you there’s parking on the island that means ¬†they don’t like you very much. ūüôā

But back to my hungry stomach…During his explorations JR had run across¬†a pub style restaurant called The¬†Thirsty Whale. I would have liked to go back to The Route 66¬† if only¬†to bring the¬†camera but JR had a point.¬† His¬† argument was that we should experience as much as possible in the short time we would be there and we’d already tried Rt 66.¬† The Thirsty Whale¬†wasn’t far from the motel so we walked down.

It was typical pub food. JR had a pizza of some kind..maybe bar-b-¬†q chicken or something¬†like that. I stuck with the nautical¬†theme enjoying a fish and chips plate that tasted as if he fish had just swum in..sooo fresh. That’s the beauty of ordering seafood right on the coast. The problem is that it spoils me for the rest of the year.

After dinner we wandered up to the main tourist part of town, did some window shopping and got an ice cream at one of the many ice cream shops.

I spotted the man with the cat on the leash again. I couldn’t believe how calm the cats was with strangers walking all around him. Rocky will walk on a leash too so that wasn’t the amazing part. The part that amazed me is that the cat was calm as could be in all the confusion and the crowds of people. While I talked with his owner he plopped down and started¬† giving himself a thorough kitty bath …the cat not the owner.(yoga poses to reach his private parts and all).

Leaving the hustle and bustle behind we¬†walked back to the motel.¬†JR¬†wanted to photograph a church with beautiful stained glass windows. I did too¬†¬†but my adventures of the day had taken their toll. I could hardly keep my eyes open on the walk back so I sent him on his way and I crashed.¬† I think my eyes were closed before my head hit the pillow. We had another busy day planned for the ‘morrow and I wanted to be alert enough to enjoy it.

Posted in Maine and tagged , , .