D.W. Field Park

D. W. Field Park is located in the middle of the city of Brockton, Ma. I have heard of the park but I hadn’t been there before today.

I dropped Smokey off at the vet first thing this morning and wanted to stay close to home incase they called so I gave my friend Nancy a ring to see what she was  up to for the afternoon. I was thinking of going over to the Fuller Craft Museum where there is a pond on the grounds.  I thought I might be able to get some pictures there.

Nancy lives in Brockton so through the wonder of miscommunication she thought I wanted to go to the D. W. Field Park that surrounds the Fuller Craft Museum. Sometimes things have a way of working out just right!

I picked up Nancy and her 5-year-old  daughter Dawn and we headed over to the museum. I missed the turn into the Museum parking lot but Nancy assured me we could get in at the next left.

I found myself pulling through an iron gate set in a stone fence. A paved road led us on into the park. As we drove Nancy pointed out picnic tables and pull offs for parking.

The park itself is over 700 acres of woodland and ponds that support a wide variety of native wildlife. There are over 7 miles of paved roads that wind through the park along with paths and trails for walking and hiking.

As we drove along we spotted a pull off across from one of the ponds. There were benches and loads of ducks, geese and swans. There were even some pigeons. I’d never seen a  brown/red pigeon before but there was one in this flock.

Dawn found some fuzzy caterpillars and seemed more interested in the bugs than the birds although she did feed a whole loaf of bread to the riotous avians and watched the feeding frenzy that followed.

We walked a little way along the pond until we came to a man-made waterfall that is the out source for the pond.

It’s a really beautiful area. It’s hard to believe you’re in the heart of a city. Once the leaves really start to change color this is going to be worth a return visit!

We wrapped up our afternoon with a visit to Asack’s Turkey Farm where they have 24 flavors of soft ice cream. We had the ice cream first then considering the time picked up Turkey pockets for dinner..yummm! The Turkey pockets have turkey breast, stuffing and cranberry sauce. The pockets are really stuffed full. They don’t skimp on the turkey, an excellent value.

Our bounty in hand I dropped Nancy and Dawn back at their home. Young Alex, Nancy’s 7 year old son, had just come home from school so I said my good byes and headed on to my other errands.

What a nice afternoon break!

0 Responses to D.W. Field Park

1. Sandra says:

Very nice pictures. I had never seen a pigeon that color either. That was a nice find.

2. Deb Sajjan says:

Wow… Thanks for the walk down memory lane. My parents used to bring us to the park for picnics when we were kids….and you know how long ago that was 🙂 I remember riding my bike there to go fishing as a teenager with my best friend from school, what a riot, neither one of us wanted to put worms on the hook, soooo we brought canned corn to bait the hooks ( that wast brilliant idea, I had heard it worked) needless to say the only thing we caught was the attention of a cute guy :).. At night it was THE PLACE ” to go “parking” at night for young lovers. On to married life and bringing my own kids there for picnics to to feed the ducks… Anyways thanks for the trip down memory lane 🙂

• Dusty Roads says:

Your welcome 🙂 I’m just amazed that I had no idea it was there. I think of D.W. Field Park as just an urban park with basket ball courts or something. It was an eye opener and I’m so glad I invited my friend along so she could introduce me to it.

3. Rachel T. says:

I used to live and work in Brockton and remember going there with our little daughter (now 30!) to feed the ducks and geese with loaves of bread. The land (700+ acres) was donated for park use about 150 years ago by D.W. Field, a rich industrialist. The park landscaping is designed by Frederick Law Olmstead and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A beautiful place which has been neglected and is now somewhat overgrown by trees and bushes. The city is planning to do some urgent restoration, but its still a very nice place to visit. For the curious, go to: http://www.enterprisenews.com/answerbook/brockton/x1837738703/Efforts-to-restore-Brocktons-D-W-Field-Park-in-the-works.

• Dusty Roads says:

That’s great infomation. Thank you for sharing it. Frederick Law Olmsrtead is a well known name here in Massachusetts. I find it quite exciting that the designer of the Arnold Arboretum and Boston’s Emerald Necklace also designed this Brockton gem. Judgeing from the amount of bulldozing I see going on around the area (Carver, Plymouth, Taunton come to mind) we need another Frederick Law Olmstead to come forward before all of our green space turns to concrete.

4. Nancy Centers says:

It was a great afternoon activity before school starts for Dawn. She is fascinated by all nature, including caterpillars and butterflies and other small creatures. We have been going there since my two were in strollers but I have yet to get them to walk the whole loop with me, though we have gone on some of the shorter trails and yes, fed the birds every time. It is nice in the early morning to see the runners and the walking clubs of seniors, mothers with strollers and dog walkers with animals of all sizes and colors. We actually saw our first snapping turtle up close as it was crossing the road to go back into the pond.. It is still a good place for a little picnic and an awesome place in Fall. The reflection of the colorful leaves in the water will make great photos this Fall.

5. There are a couple of parks like this in Chicago. One is a nature preserve on the North Side, the other is a park created out of a dump that occupied a square city block. Both are wonderful spots that take you out of yourself for a few moments.

• Dusty Roads says:

They sound wonderful. I haven’t been to Chicago on a long time. I think the last time I was there was on a business trip back in the mid 70’s. I should make a point to take a return pleasure trip! 🙂

6. Rachel T. says:

To my homepage: You’re starting to be very annoying with your meaningless posts, which go to my inbox. Please stop it! (Dusty, I hate to have this silly person “my homepage” ruin our nice blog relationship. I love your pictures and your commentary.)

• Dusty Roads says:

Hi Rachel I agree. I don’t know how to stop it. Whoever it is is spamming me. I keep deleteing them and marking them as spam. Maybe wordpress has something to stop them. I will reach out to them. I don’t know why the spam filter doesn’t catch them