Alligator Show At Home of the Gator Boys

What do Cheetos and fences have to do with alligator wrestling? When you are at Everglades Holiday Park it means that the alligator show is being done by volunteer alligator gladiator J.- Mart. I don’t know J-Mart’s real name  but that’s what they call him on the Animal Planet Show Gator Boys.

dawn 035 copy

J-Mark’s first appearance was in an episode where Paul reprimanded him for feeding Cheetos to the alligators. We next see J-Mart trying to install a new fence around the alligator pit against Paul’s directions. J-Mart is one of those colorful characters that help add fun and interest to a show that revolves around a couple of trappers who catch nuisance alligators with their bare hands.

dawn 043 copy

J-Mart was the person who had been in line behind me in the snack bar before my airboat ride. And J-Mart is performing the Alligator Wrestling show I am about to watch. That is sooo cool.

Now I am not a silly  star struck kid and celebrities don’t make my heart go pit-pat but I was pleased that someone who I had actually seen on the show was going to do this demonstration. It also made me think that I might be able to get my “burning question” answered. Was Gator Boys coming back to Florida?

dawn 046 copy

I stood front and center by the fence with my camera at ready. J-Mart started off asking if anyone watched Gator Boys. I don’t know how many other people said yes but my hand shot up right away. He looked right at me and said “Did you see the episode about the Cheetos?”. Laughing I said yes and about the fence too! His reply was classic J-Mark. “They made me look bad. I can build a fence.”

The gator show was great! J-Mart called the gators to him by imitating a baby gator chirping sound.

dawn 038 copy

Then he took one of the bigger gators and had him snap his jaws shut. Wow! It’s amazing how loud the pop sound is as the jaws close in a split second.

dawn 048 copy

The easy stuff out of the way  J-Mart got serious and performed the more dangerous tricks like holding the gator with his head and no hands.

dawn 045 copy

After the show I asked him if the Gator Boys were coming back to Florida.

dawn 050 copy

He looked surprised I asked. Then he tossed off “they are back now”. Yay! Mississippi will be coming to an end and Paul and Jimmy will be back catching Florida Gators again.

Airboat ride, gator wrestling and my “burning question” answered. Throw in  J-Mart and it was a very successful visit! I said good-bye to the birds and peacocks and headed back to the Ramada.

dawn 053 copy

It was long past 3 pm so check in shouldn’t be a problem now.

About these ads

About Dusty Roads

Single female of a "certain age", currently residing in New England with 3 cats. I enjoy traveling and documenting the world around me in words and pictures.
This entry was posted in Florida, Travel and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Alligator Show At Home of the Gator Boys

1. Sandra says:

Nice picture of the Peacock.

2. Nancy says:

OMG!

Alex will love this. I will show him when I get back tonight.

3. How fun !! :) I would absolutely thrilled, (but outwardly discreet lol.) to see someone famous. Cool, cool, way cool!

• Dusty Roads says:

I admit… it was special. And it takes a special kind of person to get picked on the way they do to J-Mark in the show and still he comes back and volunteers and does a great job!

4. Nancy says:

Alex had to see this a few more times since the other night! He LOVES the picture of the alligator at the top (without the handler) w jaws open and then the one with the handler holding the gator’s head. He is fascinated but I think he’d be a bit scared if he saw them up close like that. We saw a baby alligator at the Roger Williams Zoo and he did not want to really go up to the glass! He is a fan of the show and the other shows on Animal Planet and National Geographic Wild. Thanks for sharing.

5. I will right away seize your rss as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please permit me understand in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

6. Christian Guerrero says:

J-mart real name was John Martinez. He pass away few days ago . He was a loving close friend of mine. I love you John. I see you when I get there.

• Dusty Roads says:

I was thrilled to not only see him wrestle at Holiday park but to talk to him briefly after the show. I immediately liked him and felt his place as one of my favorite “Gator Boys” was just right. I will miss his appearances and I am very sorry for your loss. He seemed to be a funny, sweet man.

• nadine says:

We will miss J Mart. What happened to him?

• Dusty Roads says:

I don’t know. I know the Broward Times spoke to the family and they declined to discuss what happened. I haven’t seen anything else except speculation.

7. Linda says: